Grease Fire Facts
Mouth Watering, salty, greasy French fries cook on your stovetop. All of a sudden, the smell turns from delectable to dangerous as the smoke fills your home. What happened? When oil gets to hot and left unattended a grease fire can occur. Know what actions to take if this occurs in your home.
- Never try putting out a grease fire with water!
- If the fire has spread beyond the pot or appears out of control, immediately get to safety and call 911. Inform the operator that you suspect a grease fire.
- If the fire is small and contained, turn off the heat source
- Use a metal lid to cover the pot. It is a good idea to keep this handy on the counter every time you cook with oil. Cutting off the fire’s oxygen supply is the quickest way to stop the blaze in its tracks.
- Pour salt or baking soda on the fire
- Use a fire extinguisher but, be sure that the extinguisher is a Class B or Class K, multi-class extinguishers are acceptable if it has the Class B.